Are the individual Category links in Covenant, Elysium, and other popular Kodi addons not opening? Read below on how to create your own TMDB API Key to fix this issue!
TMDB is a popular database for movie and TV information. The TMDB API Key allows you to access this database and pull in information such as titles, posters, plot for nearly every movie and TV show in existence. As well, it supplies categories such as Popular, Top Rated, Now Playing, etc.
Kodi addons use these categories and information as well, since they are nothing more than google search engines and provide or host no content of their own.
Recently, users have been reporting that their Categories have not been working on Covenant, Elysium, and other popular addons. When you try to open one, say “Most Popular”, it will try to load for a second and then fail. When this happens, the TMDB API Key is down. TMDB has recently started to block APIs who send excessive requests to their server, which happens when addon become to popular.
In order to make your Kodi categories more reliable, create your own API key below and add the information into your Kodi settings.
How to Create Your Own TMDB API Key
- Go to the TMDB website and sign up for a free account.
- Once you are logged in, click your Profile Icon in the top right corner and then select Settings.
- On the left side menu click API and then click Create in the middle of your screen.
- Fill out this form asking you for your address, phone number, and other information. You can use real or fake information, it doesn’t matter. At the end of this screen when you submit the information, you will be given a TMDB API Key.
How to Add TMDB API Key into Covenant & Elysium
- Launch the Covenant or Elysium Kodi addon.
- Select Tools > SETTINGS: Accounts.
- Under TMDB, click on API Key and enter in the code you were given above.
How to Add TMDB API Key into Metahandler Settings
The Metahandler service works behind the scenes to display meta data within your Kodi skin. If you have a personal API Key, entering it into the metahandler settings is highly recommend and only takes a moment:
- From your Kodi main menu, navigate to SYSTEM > Add-ons > SYSTEM > Dependencies > Metahandler > Configure
- Add your personal API Key under TMDB and enable the Override option.