Constant Buffering in Kodi when streaming a film, TV show or football game on your box is frustrating. Here are some quick tips and words of advice, which are valid for any streaming boxes, Its key that you understand that sometimes you can intervene and fix the issue, and others times you can’t...
You may have stumbled across a fix online, a code, a programme, or have a friend telling you to edit Kodi’s settings. In our experience this does not work, we can’t say for certain it won’t help you, but we won’t be sharing them here. Read on to see why
Why Does Kodi buffer?
It’s a valid question and the trouble is, there is no clear answer why for everyone. You can do some troubleshooting to pinpoint the cause but first let us explore the possible reasons why Kodi buffers.
- Only some videos buffer, other don’t, why? – The video you’re watching is being streamed from a server, these servers are connected to networks all around the world. The internet is a big old complex beast and sometimes things go wrong. There is nothing you can do about it, it’s not a fault on your end. No amount of shouting is going to help 😀
- Peak Time Congestion – certain times of day are busier on the internet than others. Because of all the different times zones in the world, there is no quiet time but for arguments sake, try again at another time to rule this out as the cause.
- Internet Connection Speed – Just because your ISP sold you a fast connection, its doesnt mean it is. Your internet connection might just be too slow to support video streaming. Run speed tester to check your connection is up to the task.
- Hardware Issues – your router might not have strong enough wireless signal, an ISP tends to provide a basic router and these have limitations. If they allow it, purchase and install a better router. Check the T&C’s in your paperwork however as not all will, and you may be in breach of your contract.
Now let’s take a look a two classic symptoms and dig deeper, to understand and resolve them
All my videos are buffering
- The most common cause of buffering is the result of slow internet connection. This may be because of low internet speed or other users hogging the bandwidth in your house. Do you have lots of users in your home? Disconnect them all and try again
- The second and more logical reason is that your are using Wi-Fi, it doesn’t matter how fast your internet is…Wi-Fi as whole is slow and unreliable. it just it…. You should avoid using it when possible
- Directly connect to your router using an ethernet cable or to a powerline adaptor.
- If not possible, try moving the box closer to the router.
- Change your WI-FI channel. To avoid interference with nearby devices.
Sometimes One movie is buffering while others play fine, why?
Cause:The video source server is overloaded
- Try a different stream. There are always more than one to choose from
- Try a different add-on in Kodi. Some add-ons can go down from time to time, however, there are many more to choose from.
- Select a stream with a lower resolution. Most video content in Kodi is available in low, medium and high-quality streams
Quick Fix Checklist
- Reboot Router
- Change Wi-FI Channel
- Connect Directly with Ethernet
- Update Kodi
- Update Addon
- Find alternative addon or stream
- Select a lower quality source, such a Medium instead of HD
Assuming your running Kodi on an Android box, if all the above doesn’t help. The last thing to do is to try it at friends of family members home, if it’s the same then consider returning it and ask for a refund/replacement
Found a fix not mentioned that does work? Let us know below in the comments section
Last update on 2017-12-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API